WA Canceling Bills and Accounts While Sorting Out Mediation with Ex?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Michael Colling

18 September 2017
Hi there.

I've been separated for around 8 months and my ex is living in the family home while we work through mediation. We both work full time but I earn more.

I have been paying the full mortgage, insurances and bills for the family home where she is living as well as renting myself but would like to have her swap bank accounts for electricity and gas into her own name, not mine.

Can I do this and can I also close visa cards where I am the primary bank account holder and thus responsible if she was to rack up debt ?

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
1. Can I do this and
2. can I also close visa cards where I am the primary bank account holder and thus responsible if she was to rack up debt ?

1. Yes.
2. Yes.

Whether it is advised to do so in the middle of mediation is something only you and your lawyer can answer.

Note: A court is unlikely to give you any credits for continuing to pay bills. They most likely say, well you've been a good boy, let's move on nothing to take into account, and let's concentrate on what the situation is right now and look at how we'll divide your current property.

Reactions: Michael Colling

sammy01

27 September 2015
yup stop paying for anything.... Clearly she wont be able to meet the mortgage repayments moving forward so suggest to her that the house goes on the market.
Are there kids involved.??? i was in a similar situation... The ex was happy to drag the chain on sorting out kids and finalizing assets. WHY? Well she was living rent free in a house that i was paying the mortgage on... I was paying rent for my place, and child support AND expensive solicitors... Why would she would not want that situation to remain the same.... BUT once I stopped mortgage payments and she was looking at losing the house to the bank - all of a sudden she became a hell of a lot more willing to sort things

Reactions: Michael Colling