QLD Recovering Contributions Made to Ex's Mortgage?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

TraceyAnn

16 November 2016
I contributed to my ex-de facto's mortgage for the 12 months that we lived together. The house and mortgage is in his name only and I paid $150 per week towards his mortgage in addition to another $100 per for shared food and bills. I transferred $500 per fortnight to his bank account. He told me when I moved in that if he didn't have a mortgage, he wouldn't have asked for the $150 per week to go towards that.

Am I able to recover any amount I paid for his mortgage for the period that I lived there? In addition to paying the $250 per week, I did most of the cooking (95%) and I did the housework -dishes, washing floors, vacuuming, dusting, windows, my bathroom and toilet. I paid for my own food for lunches at work and we shared expenses for eating out. We did not have any joint bank accounts or jointly owned assets.

sammy01

27 September 2015
A short relationship means you have no claim on his assets and he has no claim on yours. Besides - really all you were doing was paying to have a roof over your head...

TraceyAnn

16 November 2016
Thanks sammy01 for your reply. I was not making any claim on his assets just asking about the financial contributions I made. I did speak to a solicitor today who advises that I actually do have a valid claim to pursue if I so choose.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Be careful with solicitors - yep, you have a claim. But is it worth spending paying the solicitor thousands of dollars to recoup even less...

TraceyAnn

16 November 2016
There is definitely a cost/benefit consideration in this case and the solicitor was very up front when discussing that. Thanks for your input - appreciate it.