NSW Avo in NSW, caught fighting together in Qld

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ashnon

7 September 2017
Last month a 12 month AVO was decided upon by a judge in NSW against my partner with myself being the protected person. We had met in Qld this month where Police were involved in another domestic between the two of us, but this time in Qld. What I want to know is can my partner be arrested in NSW for this? For being with me in Qld. I know the police here have been in contact with the NSW police from the town in which the avo was issued, the towns border each other and the NSW are frequently in contact with this towns police and I had seen them there today. I know a NSW AVO is not binding in Qld unless registered, but is there still any way they will arrest him in NSW knowing we were together in Qld? A baby is on the way and I will be shattered if he is going to go to jail. They know we are together in Qld and we were supposed to be going to court in NSW next week to try and get the AVO ammended. Are they planning on arresting him?

sammy01

27 September 2015
So you took an avo out on this guy in NSW... You crossed the border, met up with him and there was more domestic violence? And you're asking what can be done to make sure he isn't charged? Surely, you should be asking what can be done to stop the DV?

Why do you want to continue with a person who has been violent towards you?

Ashnon

7 September 2017
So you took an avo out on this guy in NSW... You crossed the border, met up with him and there was more domestic violence? And you're asking what can be done to make sure he isn't charged? Surely, you should be asking what can be done to stop the DV?

Why do you want to continue with a person who has been violent towards you?
There has been no real DV and this person is not violent. It was arguements. I asled a question about the law. Will they want to arrest him now? He isn't violent. The police took out the avo not me. Things are very stressful. A domestic does not always entail violence. But the yelling and screaming. I had been physical with him but the AVO went how it did because Police. I want answers about the law... not to be questioned about my morals or relationship. It's not about the relationship, that's no ones business... I am asking about the law in regards to the AVO because of alleged DV and if he will be arrested now in NSW.

sammy01

27 September 2015
U'm the title of your thread is "caught fighting together in QLD"....
So you have an AVO against him... You went to QLD and have not seen him for a while... Didn't end so well... I'm not questioning your morals or relationship... I'm questioning why when you guys meet up a third party aka - the police get involved.

So yep a domestic doesn't always entail violence. BUT The defintion of DV doesn't mean there has to be physical violence for their to be DV... That is the law... Look up definitions of DV and you'll find you don't have to touch someone to commit DV...

He will have an AVO on him, it is unlikely that will change... My advice to him? Avoid YOU>>> WHY? well if you and him agree to meet up and it ends in an argument, HE is facing jail time. THAT IS THE LAW...

Now I'm assuming the AVO states that he is not to approach you? So if that is what is on the AVO then that is the law... he should not come near you because there is an avo that states that.... Now you didn't like my first post BUT I have said basically the same thing this time. He has an AVO against him... He met up with you once and it ended in the police visiting. that is not a relationship that is a train wreck and if it continues he will go to jail. That is the law

Ashnon

7 September 2017
U'm the title of your thread is "caught fighting together in QLD"....
So you have an AVO against him... You went to QLD and have not seen him for a while... Didn't end so well... I'm not questioning your morals or relationship... I'm questioning why when you guys meet up a third party aka - the police get involved.

So yep a domestic doesn't always entail violence. BUT The defintion of DV doesn't mean there has to be physical violence for their to be DV... That is the law... Look up definitions of DV and you'll find you don't have to touch someone to commit DV...

He will have an AVO on him, it is unlikely that will change... My advice to him? Avoid YOU>>> WHY? well if you and him agree to meet up and it ends in an argument, HE is facing jail time. THAT IS THE LAW...

Now I'm assuming the AVO states that he is not to approach you? So if that is what is on the AVO then that is the law... he should not come near you because there is an avo that states that.... Now you didn't like my first post BUT I have said basically the same thing this time. He has an AVO against him... He met up with you once and it ended in the police visiting. that is not a relationship that is a train wreck and if it continues he will go to jail. That is the law
Still not entirely the answer I am looking for. Does the law say he can get arrested when it happened in qld and avo is in nsw...

sammy01

27 September 2015
YES - he can get arrested he can be charged with breach avo and he can go to jail for the breach.. If the QLD police tell the NSW police that 1- he was in your company - which in itself is likely a breach of the AVO condition and 2 - not only was he in your company, but some sort of altercation occurred that resulted in the police being called is very likely to cause the NSW police to be wanting to talk to him.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Does the law say he can get arrested when it happened in qld and avo is in nsw

Read the wording on the AVO. If it is not limited to actions in NSW, there's a good chances fighting in QLD IS covered by the AVO from NSW.