NSW What to do when Applicant breaches private AVO?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

deb66

5 March 2020
Hello, I am at my wits end as what to do. We live on a rural property in NSW and our neighbour took a private AVO on my husband after he threatened to shoot his dog for attacking our livestock! Anyhow unbelievably the AVO was granted. Now we have this person and his father coming down whenever they like and thinking they can abuse us when ever they see us. The other day we were going for a swim on the property and did not know they were there, and when we got out of vehicle the father was rushing to open his laptop and start recording. I asked what they were doing on our property, no answer just gestures. The father then gestered that he was going to kill my husband by slicing his finger across his throat and pointing at him. His son hiding in the bushes. They were tresspassing and I said they would be charged and I was ringing the police. The local police were out and the next town police were not going to come out. They emailed the local cops and they have rung telling us he has gone to the other police station and made a complaint. Now my husband has to go in and make a statement! What do we have to do to be left alone by this individual who only comes down intermittently. And I want his father charged. We had no phones with us that day. Cops told me to go back and record and tell them I am and that they are tresspassing. Please help! I find down here AVO's given out like parking tickets!

sammy01

27 September 2015
ok, so you and hubby need to be very careful.
Best thing to do is ignore then ignore some more.

Shouldn't have threatened. SSSHHH should have just shot the dog... But lets move on... No more dog shooting I'm guessing because guns licence would be revoked.

So do nothing - be super nice to neighbours. If they are on your property film them. Set up a sign that states there is survalience of the property and that trespassers will be prosecuted...
But do nothing else and don't get provoked into a fight. It is insane, even if they're on your property, if hubby fights them he will go for breach of avo. So stay calm and do nothing