QLD Alcoholic Spouse - How to Protect Kids?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MamaBear

5 September 2017
Hi,

I am working to exit from my marriage from a highly functioning alcoholic. There has been a string of drunken situations over the years. I can't take it anymore. He'll never chose family & a happy life over the drink.

He is controlling and has used being a stay at mum against me when I tried to leave 2 years ago; blocked access to our bank account leaving me penniless. We reconciled, but nothing has changed with his binge drinking. In fact, it's gotten worse and he's been regularly drink driving. I'm appalled at this.

My question is, when I go I don't know how he will react. He's unstable even when not drinking. When I go, I want to protect my kids. Is my word that he is an alcoholic enough to protect the kids from being in his unpredictable care?

Happy to share more privately, but just trying to know what fight lies ahead. He cannot look after them while his alcoholism is unchecked.

Blessing

20 April 2017
Sydney NSW
No your word is not enough to stop him having care of his kids, you will need to prove he's an alcoholic and also that he cannot care for the kids properly. How old are the kids?

MamaBear

5 September 2017
I can do that...DUI, rehab, counselling, psychologist, recovery support program...List goes on. Nothing helps as I don't think he gets how sick he is. Very sad.

I've been the primary carer, he the earner. I've had a few side businesses along the way as well. Our kids are young, school aged. I've tried everything I can do to support his efforts, but if he doesn't have the same commitment to kick this, my hands are tied. And he doesn't. I'm holding my breath while I get a job, some funds behind me to support me & kids.

I'm scared that if he knew this, he'd block me from the account again and I'll be penniless like before. It's his pier over me. One of the kids has special needs. I need a clean break and safe landing spot, all in the works. Just scared he'll get them unsupervised.

How can I ensure they are not in harms way when I'm not there anymore?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Okay, so an unfortunate reality check for you is that even the children of meth addicts have a legal right to a meaningful relationship with their parents. The children of alcoholics are no different.

You've asked if your word is enough to guarantee supervised time, but there's a few layers to this question that I think should be addressed.

First, while ever there are no parenting orders in place, you and the kids' father are at liberty to do as you see fit in regard to the children. If you want to hide them away, you can. If he wants to pick them up from school early one day and move across the country with them, he can. The only way you can really protect the children from such games is to get parenting orders.

That brings me to my second point. Parenting orders are made in one of two ways - by consent between the parents, or by order of the Court. The first step in getting parenting orders is to attend a family dispute resolution conference with your ex to try and negotiate an agreement that can be turned into consent orders, or failing that, you receive the s 60I certificate that is a mandatory component of filing an initiating application for parenting orders to be determined by the Court.

Third point, if you ask the Court to decide, it is bound by the Family Law Act, which states that the children's best interests are paramount. When considering what's in the best interests of the children, the Court refers to s 60CC of the Family Law Act 1975. The two primary considerations are the benefit to the children of having a meaningful relationship with both parents, and the need to protect the children from harm caused by neglect, abuse or family violence. There are about 12 secondary considerations, as well.

So, where does alcoholism fit into all of this? How might the Court take the allegation into account?

Well, as a precautionary measure at an interim hearing hearing (parenting matters occur over a very long time with multiple interim hearings before heading to trial), then the Court might order that the father spend supervised time with the children under the watch of a family member or at a contact centre.

If that goes well, it might later order that future time occur without supervision, but an injunction might be issued against alcohol consumption before and during the children's time with him.

If it doesn't go well, the Court might retain supervised time and order the father to undertake rehabilitation. It might move to unsupervised time in future, if the father proves responsive to treatment.

If it can't make a final conclusion, it might order that a family report be completed to provide some third-party insight about how the allegations have affected, or might affect the children's relationship with their dad.

Or the Court might not agree that the allegations of alcoholism are persuasive and just order time to be unsupervised from the beginning.

It's impossible to predict what the Court would do, if it even ends up in Court, but you should prepare yourself for the very real possibility that unsupervised time between the children and their father will take place at some point in the future. It's very uncommon for the Court to order supervised time on a long-term basis, particularly if one party is banking just on their word as evidence.

My stepdaughter's mother once tried to persuade me that my now-husband was suffering from an alcohol addiction, but now that I've been married to him for several years, it's become clear to me that her definition of an alcohol addiction was very different to my own, and thankfully, that's why the Court doesn't take the word of people like you and me as gospel when it comes to medical diagnoses - all we can provide are opinions, not facts. I daresay we wouldn't have gained 50/50 care of my stepdaughter had the Court given weight to the ex's opinion in our case.

All you can do in an affidavit is raise your concerns and cite the pathways you've taken to try and have the issues addressed. That doesn't mean the Court will oblige any wish for supervised time, but it will at least take it into consideration and determine of its own accord if an expert witness needs to be appointed for a proper assessment.

MamaBear

5 September 2017
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I'm not out to get him. It's just abundantly clear his addiction overrides everything. I have grave concerns that his care of them is compromised by his chronic and excessive Alcohlol use. If he would be amicable and accept some kind of assurance of no drink driving with our kids and drinking while they are is in his care, is be comfortable 50/50 shared care. My concerns are once I leave the relationship he will turn on me as before, be uncooperative and slide downhill with his drink. The devil I know it better than the devil I don't. I rarely leave the kiddies in his solo care and with departing obviously I want my kids to see their dad. That's so important. But how do I protect them from the alcoholic is my only concern.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Well, Court for a parenting matter is most likely very far into the distant future, at this stage. For now, there are no parenting orders and the Family Law Act has no effect on ordinary citizens unless those citizens ask the Court to intervene, so right now, the entire parenting gig is up to you and/or dad to decide.

I think your first priority, however, is finding a safe path out of your relationship, if that's what you want to do. You mentioned one of the challenges last time was money, so I suggest opening a personal bank account that isn't a joint account and having all of your own incoming funds redirected there before having the conversation with dad about ending the relationship.

Try and remember that a relationship breakdown comes with a grieving process, so while dad may be rash and unpredictable at first, he will most likely eventually proceed to the acceptance stage of grief that will hopefully allow you to have an amicable friendship for the sake of the kids. Court is a terrible experience for everyone, so if you can find a way to work together once the dust settles, without involving the Court, your kids will be better off.