VIC Accidental Damage of Property - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Buddy2018

19 March 2018
I have been living in a house for 12 months with the owner of the house. I rent a bedroom. I have never entered into a formal lease or agreement and pay the owner $500 fortnightly in cash.

We share household chores and split the bills. I have a dog also which the owner adores.

Everything has been pretty amicable and harmonious.

2 weeks ago, I was completing my chores, vacuuming the hallway and straightening
the hall rug. At the end of the hall is a Grandfather clock. As I lifted the rug to straighten it, this made the Grandfather clock unbalanced (it was unweighted, so it would rock easily - in hindsight). The Grandfather clock fell on its face. Smashed the glass panelling and did a reasonable amount of damage.

The owner of the house now wants $7000 to replace it. I don’t have $7000. I said to the owner it should be covered under insurance. The owner said it’s not. Only theft and fire are covered. (I said I’m willing to pay the insurance excess - not $7000).

What are my rights in this situation?

Am I liable?

It’s creating a lot of stress and have been threatened with further action and to be taken to VCAT.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in confidence.