NSW Absent Father Wanting Custody of Children - Possible Outcome?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mumee

10 July 2018
Your child is 15 months and has had little contact with her father. He would like to see her fortnightly? To start with, I think I would offer fortnightly visits (at his parents) but not overnight - so you drop child off or they pick her up in the morning and they return her to your care in the afternoon for the couple of days that he is staying at his parents. She is still only young and I'm not sure if she's had overnights away from you yet? If he is consistent with visiting and building a relationship with the child then you could progress to overnight stays within a certain period of time. Start with one night and then two when you both think she is ready for it.

It certainly sounds like he wants to have a relationship with his daughter but is just going about it the wrong way. Hopefully he'll be mature enough to understand what is best for his daughter and that you are trying to do the right thing by her.

Good luck, I hope you can come to an agreement without going to court.

thanks, yeah i dont think she is ready or will cope well with the two nights, but he is demanding them or threatening otherwise..
fingers crossed he becomes worlds best dad.

and if he decides otherwise.
hope he leaves us alone and moves on.

Jackson8

21 September 2019
So. I will leave you to answer your question. I will re phrase it for you. If this goes to court and dad gets up and says he travelled down from qld because YOU said he could have the kid frim friday through to sunday... he books tickets etc and u change your mind a few days before the visit is gonna happen. How is that gonna look?good or bad? If he is willing to fly down every second weekend at his own expense that shows he wants t9 be there for this kid. Why get in the way of that?
I know this is a old post but I totally agree with you at least he is making a effort even if it's small some parents don't make any effort and abandon there kids