Would I Need Apprehended Violence Order (AVO)?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Maddy

10 July 2014
My husband has befriended a lady from work & she & I in turn became friends. We helped her leave abusive husband number 3. She became the closest thing to family we have here & even asked her to be the unofficial godmother to our children.

Something earlier this year changed this dynamic & she began posting romantic quotes & posts on my husband's Facebook account. I informed him what was being posted & he said he would speak to her about it. The posts continued & she even posted something to my timeline, out of the blue, that read "Abracadabra...nope you're still a b***h".

When questioned she said it was meant as a joke & aimed at either work colleagues or for dealing with customers (we work together). She did not apologise or take the post down but unfriended & blocked me. The posts to my husband's timeline escalated with posts relating to their love & her now claiming they were in a relationship. He denies knowing anything about any of this & has deactivated his FB account.

One of her latest posts claims that he & her were setting up bunk bed (at her house) for the little ones (our children, 5 & nearly 3). Again he denies any knowledge but won't cut contact with her. Not sure what I should do. If we split because of this, will I have any grounds to stop her having access to my children, like an Apprehended AVO?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
While her behaviour is very strange, does she pose a physical threat to your kids? If not, it's unlikely you will be able to get an AVO against her. If she begins harassing you, however, that is a different story.

I would like to point out that she also has no right to have a relationship with your kids. It is perfectly acceptable for you to take steps to keep your children away from her yourself, provided you don't break the law to achieve that outcome. :)