QLD Brother with AVO Threatening Mother and Her Partner?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
27 December 2016
My younger brother is a known ice user and just recently, his partner, himself and their 6 kids had nowhere to stay, so my mother told him they could stay with her. There was an incident where he was told by my step-dad if he was doing drugs in their house he should leave. The situation became very violent and he attempted to put the children in the car and leave the house while he was under the affects of ice.

There was a huge altercation involving our mother, her partner and myself where he assaulted our mother severely in front of the children. The police were called and they initiated a police ordered AVO because it was so bad. The children's mother we also believe is selling and or using drugs and shows no signs of leaving him or making the situation better for the children.

We decided it was within the best interests of our family, including the children to discuss our concerns with the mother of the 6 kids and after doing so, she has spoken to the father and he is now making threats on the lives of our mother and her partner.

Not only is it a bad situation for the children but because my mother consistently looks after his 6 children. It is now becoming unsafe for her as well. What can we do?

sammy01

27 September 2015
So here is the problem - he is using government money to fund his ice addition. Once you go to Centrelink so your mum can get the entitlements, your brother will lose his s**t. Your best bet is to let him have the kids and let the child welfare mob in your state deal with them. It is far more likely that they will put the kids into your mum's care anyways, but at least you will have their authority backing you.

But plan B is just keep the kids and if your brother comes near, get him arrested for breach of AVO... He could go to jail and that might not be a bad thing.