SA Can We Put AVO on Partner's Violent Ex?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sammy01

27 September 2015
How old is the child? What about a mid-term visit? I have consent orders. My kids miss 14 days of school a year to visit the other parent. Not ideal and that was done by consent... But you could look at a weekend visit, even if it was in the locality where the kid lives and you guys cop the travel?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I disagree with the above - in my experience, nothing motivates change like the Court can. Include phone calls as an order sought, the Court will most likely agree that just holidays isn't enough. You can't predict whether or not mum will comply, but any decent lawyer will tell her it's in her best interests to do so.

You might also consider requesting one or two weekends during the school term, and obviously there will be extra travel associated with that, but you can request the parties pay half the travel costs each.

I think what you're seeking is otherwise reasonable, and it's likely you'll see interim orders of similar effect implemented particularly if the child hasn't seen the father in a while.

Just regarding school, etc., get dad to start communicating with the school directly, rather than rely on the mother to get information. Ask to have his contact information included on the child's file and request that the child's report card be mailed to him when available. See if they will do parent-teacher interviews by phone.

Basically, act like a parent would about their child's education if the other parent was absent. The more you rely on the mother, the more control she has over you.