QLD Traffic Offence - Lawyer in Brisbane?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

praxidice

30 May 2014
A friend wants to defend a driving without due care an attention charge, however it appears lawyers generally are only interested in advising clients to plead guilty to everything traffic related, although they still want to hold their hand out for thousands of dollars. I do realize that 'innocent until proven guilty' is the farce of all farces in Australia but I live in hope there is actually a lawyer out there somewhere who is motivated by something other than avarice.

Whilst I'm not legally qualified, there are obvious holes in the police complaint big enough to drive a batallion of military tanks through & I'm confident a lawyer who is committed to his client (other than to the size of their wallet) could make mincemeat of this matter.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
< ignores post >

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
there are obvious holes in the police complaint big enough to drive a batallion of military tanks through

Can you elaborate on this?

praxidice

30 May 2014
Can you elaborate on this?

Significant errors & omissions in report including failure to record relevant information re environment, failure to undertake drug testing of either party, failure to check one party for possible impairment, failure to investigate true path of either vehicle, incorrect recording of damage, pitifully feeble questioning of one party, questioning of other party apparently delayed for several months & advice given at time of incident that it was merely an unfortunate accident, neither party was at fault. Seems Queensland police have a policy of whacking every motorist in an altercation with the due care and attention bit.

For what its worth there is one very interesting precedent where a truckie was charged with driving without due care in an incident that killed a motorbike cop & was acquitted. Magistrate stated 'the fact that an accident occurred doesn't necessarily mean a driver failed to observe due care'. Unfortunately the vast majority of lawyers I've encountered aren't in the slightest bit interested in defending any traffic incident.