QLD Speeding Fines from SPER - Dispute under Traffic Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


1 September 2015
I've received a speed camera infringement notice from SPER at my postal address. This was the first I knew of the incident. I contacted the police and SPER and found out that SPER became involved as I never responded to the original fine. The Police provided SPER with my postal address but sent the original speeding fine to my residential address.

Because it was months after the offence before I found out, I can't remember if I was driving the vehicle at the time. I was named as the driver because my name appears first on the registration papers.

I have elected to dispute the fine in court.

I'm looking for thoughts on Traffic Law for my case.


Hi HotRoger,

I suppose you might be able to avoid paying any additional late fees that SPER have charged on top of the original fine because you were not properly notified of the fine since it was not sent to your postal address. However, as for the actual fine - I don't know whether simply arguing that late notice meant you cannot admit or deny the offence will get you off.
Check out this artilce:

How to Respond to a Speeding Fine in Victoria - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au