Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Traffic Law - Unpaid Speeding Fines from 16 Years Ago?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by timewarp, 29 December 2015.

  1. timewarp

    timewarp Member

    29 December 2015
    Likes Received:
    I received a speeding fine recently, so rang civic compliance to make the payment (and I did) at which time they said there was a "warrant" for a fine I incurred in 1999. They couldn't tell me what the offense was, or what the fine was for, but I suspect it was for speeding. They said I owed about $300.

    I know I didn't receive any speeding fines in the mail or otherwise I would have paid it. I wasn't making any attempt to avoid the fine. I simply never knew about it

    This happened 16 years ago. and I only just found out about it!

    So much water under the bridge. I've recently taken out a home loan and it wasn't flagged as an unpaid debt. I've been pulled over by the police and they never mentioned anything. I've also renewed my drivers licence, and nothing was mentioned.

    Does stuff like this expire under Traffic Law?

    I did some googling and read that fines expire after 5 years.

    I read this
    and this
    Victorian government kicks out IT supplier after infringement management system blowout |

    Can someone please help me with this?

    Do I have to pay?

    What happens if I don't pay?

    I have now provided civic compliance with my current address.

    Will the sheriff now be coming for me?

    Thank you!
  2. Clancy

    Clancy Well-Known Member

    6 April 2016
    Likes Received:
    I have had it happen twice where I did not receive any notice in the post for a fine, and only found out after receiving a reminder notice! One was a second notice!

    I complained and they said they don't care. It is assumed in law I have received the fine regardless if I actually did receive it or not. So they are within their rights to fine you and not inform you if they so desire and it's too bad for you. That's the law in NSW but Victoria could be different?

Share This Page