VIC Theft - What is the Best Way to Return Money?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mel Ruets

1 August 2016
Please don't judge me. I am deeply remorseful and I want to return the money but I want to do it the right way so I don't screw myself over.

This is a first-time offence. I took money from my employer totalling about $10k. It was from the sales made at an event. I took it from her bag. I didn't realise how much I took and immediately regretted my decision. They have realised they are missing a large amount of money when they went to cash it in to the bank the next day.

They are getting a cctv footage of the venue we were at to see who was around their bag at the time as there was only a small window that it could have happened. I know I am going to get caught on that cctv footage and I want to own up ASAP.

I would like to know the following:

- If the footage doesn't clearly show what I am taking from their bag (as mine was also next to theirs and may look like I'm in my bag for instance) or if the footage isn't clear enough, can it still be used as evidence to charge me of theft?

- How would the best way to go about returning the money to my employer to not condemn myself too harshly? I haven't been approached or made aware they know it's me yet.

- If I return the money and continue working for them (if they will want me after this) and I want to terminate my employment with them later down the line, can they charge me with theft after the fact and all has been resolved? Or even us it as a threat to keep me in my job?

- Do they require to show proof of the amount that was stolen?

- I am unsure if they have notified the police yet of the missing money, but if they have and we have resolved the issue out of court will I still get arrested?

Apologies for the long post.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
When did you take the money? Roughly how many days ago - don't give precise details.

Was it in something (envelope, folder etc) that may have fallen accidentally into your bag? Don't supply specific details here, this is a public forum.

Could it have been something you saw on the floor, picked it up, put it your bag and then forgot about it until to today?

They can use whatever evidence they want. The value will depend on how clear it is. They do not have to be certain of the exact amount stolen.

Any admissions made by you can latter be used in a criminal trial regardless of agreement with the employer so you do need to be careful how you handle this situation. It may also have an impact on future employment if you are convicted of theft.

And yes, you can be arrested and charged.