VIC Accused of Theft - What Now?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kryspen

15 September 2014
I have been asked by the local marina manager to see him in the office today. He ask me if I knew if someone found a wallet that has been lost by one of the members. I answered that I don't know anything about it. He said that they have CCTV footage and "they" think that it was me. I asked to see the footage. On the footage I did see the member opening gate with his pass, then me walking later on through that gate. I stop and scratch my left knee (arthritis) and walk forward. On CCTV video I did not see anything on the concrete and I stated that I did not find or pick anything up. My question is, does this classify as false accusation of theft? Personally I feel angry for the suggestion that I would steal someone's property. Now I feel that the other members may look at me as a thief. Where do I stand?
I would appreciate some advice.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Is this manager person your employer?

Kryspen

15 September 2014
No, he's marina manager, i am member of the club. I'm not aware if anyone else been ask about the missing (stolen) wallet. First thing he said that he does not want to involve police at the moment (now I wish he did), and then he asked me the questions.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Well, he is either making an accusation, or he isn't.
Which means he's either got some sort of reasonable basis for making the accusation, or he doesn't.
The stuff about "not wanting the police involved" is bluff.
It's down to them to make an accusation, and to provide evidence to support it.

I do not see that you have any obligations towards him,
nor do I see that you have any kind of obligation to attend meetings or answer questions.

If you are a young person, even a young adult,
or if you are not an especially sophisticated person,
then do not answer any more emails, do not attend any more meetings,
and do not have any more conversations about it, without a switched-on support person present.

Kryspen

15 September 2014
Thank you very much, appreciate your advice a lot. I'm not young person, unless being 61 years young qualify. :).
Once again, appreciate very much, thank you.