NSW Tenant Jailed - Legally Obtain Cars for Compensation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Whitelynne

1 August 2016
The tenant had been doing illegal business on my property (drug related). I notified the police and they have been jailed for a minimum of 5 years. My property has been raided by the police and trashed; holes in the walls, the ceilings and the floors, soil and equipment sprawled all over the property, carpet pulled out, wires and cords everywhere.

They have left a mess and they also left their cars (with keys) on my property. I was wondering if I could legally obtain the vehicles as compensation to help pay for all the repairs (and cleaning) and/or as an occupation fee.

Thank you

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Who did the damage, tenants or police?

Reactions: Whitelynne

Whitelynne

1 August 2016
Somewhat both. The tenants pulled out the carpet, created the holes but the police are the ones who trashed the place.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Does 'trashed the place' = made almighty mess, no damage? If so, suspect you may have trouble getting a cleaning bill paid by police.

re: Tenants cars - No. Not sure it is a good idea anyway against people like that unless they are locked away. You don't really want drug dealers knocking on your door demanding car keys back - regardless of whether you are right to have the cars or not!

Recommend you follow normal tenant damage procedures through NCAT.

Reactions: Whitelynne