LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Tenant Jailed - Legally Obtain Cars for Compensation?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Whitelynne, 1 August 2016.

1. Whitelynne

Whitelynne Member

The tenant had been doing illegal business on my property (drug related). I notified the police and they have been jailed for a minimum of 5 years. My property has been raided by the police and trashed; holes in the walls, the ceilings and the floors, soil and equipment sprawled all over the property, carpet pulled out, wires and cords everywhere.

They have left a mess and they also left their cars (with keys) on my property. I was wondering if I could legally obtain the vehicles as compensation to help pay for all the repairs (and cleaning) and/or as an occupation fee.

Thank you

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Who did the damage, tenants or police?

Whitelynne likes this.
  3. Whitelynne

Whitelynne Member

Somewhat both. The tenants pulled out the carpet, created the holes but the police are the ones who trashed the place.

4. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Does 'trashed the place' = made almighty mess, no damage? If so, suspect you may have trouble getting a cleaning bill paid by police.

re: Tenants cars - No. Not sure it is a good idea anyway against people like that unless they are locked away. You don't really want drug dealers knocking on your door demanding car keys back - regardless of whether you are right to have the cars or not!

Recommend you follow normal tenant damage procedures through NCAT.

Whitelynne likes this.