contents insurance

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
Contents insurance is insurance that pays for damage to, or loss of, an individual’s personal possessions while they are located within that individual’
In this context "possessions" means anything that is not permanently attached to the structure of the home (possessions that are permanently attached to the structure of the home can only be insured via home insurance.) Some contents policies may also include possessions kept in outbuildings or in the garden area attached to the house.
Contents insurance is usually sold alongside home insurance but it can also be purchased as a stand-alone policy, especially for those who are renting rather than owning their home.

View More On
  1. A

    WA Home & contents insurance claim proceeding but policy has only one of two names on the title deed.

    X partner has Home & contents insurance on joint house that burnt down, am I entitled to any monies as I am on the title deed? Or could she just pay her half of whats owing on the morgage & walk away leaving me with a debt & no where to live? How can an insurance company payout 355k to only...
  2. S

    Letters from debt collector on behalf of Insurance company

    My partner accidentally banged her car on our garage door while reversing the car. This happened early July. We are renting out the apartment. We informed the real estate agent, they organized the garage door replacement thru Strata. We were never asked to pay for the damage/ door...
  3. S

    SA Separation - Who Pays Contents Insurance and Council Rates?

    Hi, Currently going through a separation. The ex has moved out and we share 2 children 50/50 custody of children. I'm currently paying 100% of mortgage and utilities. Question 1, is she responsible for half the council rates? I'm effectively renting her half of the property off of her by...
  4. K

    NSW Property Settlement & Conciliation Queries

    Hi, I have to complete a joint balance sheet for an up coming conciliation conference. I have found the form online but would like to know if anyone can direct me to a sample already filled in? I am uncertain as to whether I fill out a form based on my assets and liabilities and then do a...
  5. L

    SA Contents Insurance Claim for Stolen Jewellery?

    Hello! I'm making an contents insurance claim on stolen jewellery. The jewellery cannot be replaced for sentimental reasons. My insurer is refusing a cash settlement, and will only replace with jewellery of my choice. Is this correct? Or is there a loophole somewhere that I can fight for...
  6. P

    SA Residential Tenancies Act - Is Landlord Liable for Break-in?

    Hi everyone, Is the landlord of a home liable for the cost of possessions that are stolen from their tenant due to a break-in? Specifically, because the tenant was robbed due to the locks on the property not being maintained (as they are required to do - Residential Tenancies Act 1995). They...
  7. Alexander_Descartes

    NSW Received Life Estate Through Will - Am I Owner or Tenant?

    I was given a life estate through a will. Am I legally entitled to call myself the owner of the property? The reason why I am asking is because the current house and contents insurance is coming up for renewal. I am thinking of shopping around to see if I can get a better rate. The assessment...
  8. D

    VIC Theft from Company Vehicle - Who is Responsible for Replacement of Tools?

    Hi, just wondering, who is obligated to replaced tools in this circumstance? The employee or the employer? A company vehicle was broken into out the front of an employee's house after work hours. The company doesn't have contents insurance for the work vehicle. The company instructs employees...
  9. K

    QLD Separation - Will I Lose All in My Home Investments?

    I have been separated for 9-10 years. My wife walked out, leaving me the house to pay for over the years. I struggled to keep up the payments and in 3-4 years, I will pay out the home loan. Over that time, we have lived together for about 1.5 years for a few months at a time. Since our...
  10. J

    WA Colleague's iMac Computer Stolen from My House - Am I Liable?

    Hiya, My wife's colleague left his imac at my house without my knowledge and while he was gone, my house was broken into. His computer was still in its box and the thieves basically walked in through my unlocked front door and took it. Am I liable and have to replace it? I don't want to claim...