NSW Telstra Debt Left in Collection Agency?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
29 January 2017
I have been paying my Telstra bill off $50 to $100 a fortnight, or when I could afford since I lost my job. I asked for it to be disconnected and it was as there were charges on there, I disputed.

I've got it down from $1300 to $882 with $100 paid off end of December, which was basically $50 a fortnight. It's been 3 weeks since I've made a payment as I've lost my second job and haven't had a chance to put any money on it lately.

My original contract runs out middle of February but Telstra have put it in the hands of collection agency, even though I was making payments when I could. Are they allowed to do this as it has been less than 3 months since I've put money on it?

S

Sophea

Yes, Telstra are within their rights to do this. Make sure you don't pay anything to Telstra anymore, as they probably don't own the debt, the debt collector does and you will have to negotiate a payment plan with them. They are not obliged to agree to any payment plan that you propose.

Check out this article on dealing with debt collectors: https://www.lawanswers.com.au/blog/dealing-with-debt-collectors/

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Yes.

You also need to understand that, having agreed to a plan,
that you actually have to stick to it.