Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

VIC Australian Consumer Law - Engin Cancellation and Pricing Dispute

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by Lyle Harbour, 8 January 2016.

1. Lyle Harbour

Lyle Harbour Member

Called Engin to start a VIOP phone and Internet service because they advertised they could port my old number to the new service. Then I discovered that they could port only Telstra Numbers, so I called back within 24 hours to cancel the service. A month goes by and I receive a modem from Engin by courier. I also notice on my credit card statement that they are charging me.

So I call them to complain. I have no account number and received no paperwork from them at all. The lady puts me through to cancellations. After she works out that I have never been connected she puts me through to Customer service. They told me to send the hardware back and they will issue a full refund.

Australia post loses the satchel. Engin claims the hardware is worth $218 yet they advertise the hardware on their site for sale at $138. Am I responsible for their hardware that should never have been sent to me?

I have looked through the terms and conditions on their site and find nothing relevant to the pricing.

I had to pay the company I went with for Telstra to connect the phone line to the house. So Engin knows the service was never started.

Where do I stand under Australian Consumer Law?

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi Lyle,

Assuming that you were able to cancel the contract after 24 hours - assuming there was some sort of cooling off period - then the deduction from your credit card was unauthorised and must be refunded. A service provider also has to compensate you for your loss if their services caused you a problem which costs you money.

Do you have your receipt from Australia post to confirm that you posted the modem back? If so, I would send them a copy with a letter demanding a refund pursuant to your rights under Australian Consumer Law. I would also contact your bank and tell them that there has been an unauthorised transaction - money taken out of your account without your consent and have them investigate it. I have had success getting a refund this way too, where I have not authorised a credit card deduction.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Lyle Harbour

Lyle Harbour Member

Hi Sophea,

Thank you for your reply, yes at the time the cooling off period was 24 hours. I canceled within that time.
    The Australia post part is Receipted. The online tracking shows it has been posted, But is still in transit for more than a month.

Auspost investigations are slow. About once a week I get a call from engin customer service stating that they are happy to give a full refund once the hardware is returned. Frustrating.

Thanks again.