QLD Superannuation claim after 17 years

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Frodofall

7 June 2020
Hi Everyone.

My ex and I signed a consent order for a superannuation split after the divorce 17 years ago. Apparently, the super fund never transferred the agreed-upon balance from my super to hers. Now, 17 years later, she has told me she will be making a claim to get that super transferred.

Is this possible for her to do? Is there some sort of statute of limitations on her being able to do this? What is she entitled to claim?

Thanks - Frodo

sammy01

27 September 2015
Is the amount she was granted in the consent orders stipulated as a % or as a figure $30 000 - for example. IF it was a figure? Then sweet, it is $ she is entitled to, but YOU got the interest on the $$ for that whole time.

Funnily enough something similar happened to me. IT took her 7 years to work out she didn't get $18 000. By the time the $ went into her account the interest I'd accrueed mean't I was barely out of pocket.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No, but super fund may pay.

If your split was amicable, maybe let her, otherwise write to the fund and say she is out of time.

Atticus

6 February 2019
My ex and I signed a consent order for a superannuation split after the divorce 17 years ago. Apparently, the super fund never transferred the agreed-upon balance from my super to hers
Was the fund ever served with a splitting order as per requirements?