VIC Spouse Threatening to File Reports to Police?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ali001

2 April 2018
I married a girl who is overseas who seems to demand money and everything and seem to be more interested in the passport than in me. I told her I can't apply for her visa to move here and so she is upset, and instead, she calls me- let's say, once a week or texts me two lines in a day.

She hides her phones, Facebook , payslips and everything. I stopped talking to her for one month and she filed a missing persons report and I got a call from the police saying that my spouse is saying I am missing, on which I clarified to the officer that she has called my friends, too, saying the same thing, but I am not missing.

She laughed about it that I bothered the law enforcement. Now every time I ignore her, she threatens that she will call the police that I am missing or file a wrong false claim.

I study full time and barely work, whereas she earns $2000 a month overseas and don't give me a penny, but I am expected to buy her phones and everything.

Every time I tell her I want out, she tells me she will tell the police whatever she likes and I will be in trouble and gives me examples of how last time the police believed her. She hides her assets in her family name and is hoping to cash on mine, and the best part, she admitted her last marriage was a marriage for the passport in Austria and she left the guy because she got bored (she lied about her last marriage and only clarified it after our marriage).

Can anyone tell me how to answer the police if next time she makes a false missing person report again? Plus, since the marriage, I have now developed blood pressure of 160 because of her continuous emotional torment so I don't want to talk with her as I want my mind to relax and not have cardiac problems while she is busy partying and having fun.

sammy01

27 September 2015
how long have you been married?
how long have you been living separately?
If you have not lived with her for 12 months, then file for divorce.

Change your phone number and don't tell her.
IF the cops come looking for you just tell them that you have a crazy ex and tell them you're sorry that they have been put out...

EASY

AllForHer

23 July 2014
So, you're in Australia? The girl you're married to is not in Australia?

Mate, don't over complicate it.

She can file a missing person report but when the police come knocking, you just say you're separated and you don't speak to her anymore.

Her filing missing person reports is her problem, not yours.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Your problem is emotional, not legal.

Once you fix the emotional issues I suspect your situation will improve. Take control back from the other person. This is often difficult so you may need professional help. There is nothing wrong about seeking assistance as there are many people around who don't have the necessary life skills to fix their issues without help. Many people stumble through life without good skills and are just lucky they don't stumble into a bad situation. You unfortunately don't appear to be one of the lucky ones, so get help to get yourself together and in a better place.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You're being had.
Stop sending money.