Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Separation and Child Support - What am I Entitled to?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Isla, 18 April 2016.

  1. Isla

    Isla Member

    15 April 2016
    Likes Received:
    I separated from my ex in 2012. We have have been on really good terms since then. My ex suffered from acquired brain injury when I was 8 months pregnant (2011). He has had some impairment but is still able to function to some extent.

    In 2014, I took my daughter to my country with my ex's knowledge and permission. He came to visit us not long after. We spent 2 week holiday together (although we did not get intimate). We have committed to maintain a really loving and good relationship for the sake of our daughter.

    My ex has received compensation from the insurance company (his brother was appointed trustee) and has 2 other savings (which income comes from Centrelink). I have access to the account and have been able to take money online (with his permission).

    His family found out recently and his brother has sent me 2 abusive emails and said he would take me to jail for having committed fraud. I also have received countless phone calls from the mother, although she said she won't take any legal action towards me, she has appointed a third party to investigate and get me to return the money I have taken.

    The family never tried to discuss child support between me and my ex. We both agree to just do it discreetly as he often argued with his brother over the money.

    I left our house (my ex's house) with no money. My family sent me air tickets. My intention was to find a decent job (office job) in my country as we were very struggling financially at that time. My ex agreed and although we were fighting a lot, we managed to communicate well and remain friends until now.

    Now with the situation where my ex stands between his family and us (me and our daughter), I feel very distress and angry. I want to know my rights as a permanent resident (my ex is a citizen) whose ex husband has suffered from an acquired brain injury, who gives me permission and never once minds me taking his money but at the same time has little capacity to stop his family threatening me.

    His mother once told me that I am entitled to nothing.

    Can someone please provide me with any help? In my position, what am I entitled to?
  2. Victoria S

    Victoria S Well-Known Member

    9 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page