SA SA Fisheries Fine - A criminal matter?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mike Love

25 June 2014
Hi all,
My brother bought a second hand boat.
He paid for the insurance and the rego fee - however, he didn't realise that he had only paid for the trailer rego fee and not the actual boat rego - which the previous owner did not send him.
The Fisheries guy checked his boat and said it will be ok if he sent him some documents - my brother did what he asked and then still received a fine in the mail!

So he asked for a review of the fine - which was rejected.
Then he told them to take him to court, expecting it to be a civil matter like a speeding fine.

He then received notification that it was now a CRIMINAL matter, he had to go to court against the government lawyers, and if he wanted to end it he could plead guilty and pay a few extra fines etc.

My questions are:

Why is this a criminal matter and not a simple civil matter?

If he pleads guilty, they said it would "all go away". I suspect this might not be accurate.
Would he then have a criminal record? Would this affect any other factors, such as his job or loans etc?

Thanks so much for you help!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Haven't seen the SA Act however it is likely deemed an 'offence' and the penalty described in penalty units, hence it is a criminal matter.

BTW, speeding matters in court are not civil matters, they are criminal.

Your brother should see a lawyer, The lawyer will them likely talk to the other side to see what can arranged.