QLD Registered Relationship - Will I be liable for his debts?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ShelleyBean

22 January 2019
I contacted the bank about closing the joint account and they said they can't close it without both our permission, which is a problem, as he is estranged and I can't contact him. They said they could close the link on my side but they need to cut off my current card and issue a new one, which I don't really want to do, as I'm on the other side of the planet right now. I don't want to ultimately risk being without any bank card, as I still use it.

The joint account has $0 in it. But my everyday and savings accounts, which are linked to the joint account DO have funds in. Is keeping the joint account open for now risky, in any way? Does it give debt collectors or the Government the right to take any money owed by him, from my accounts?

ShelleyBean

22 January 2019
Just to conclude this thread, I called the bank back and explained the situation and they were able to close the joint account over the phone and remove any links to his account. Just need to obliterate the Registered Relationship link when I get back to AU and I will be freeeeeeee! :D