racism at work ignored by managers i now have depression

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

KURTJAMES23

8 October 2017
I have been working with my company now for almost 10 years. About a year ago my current supervisor was making racial comments to me and my colleagues, these highly offended me so I reported them to the State Manager and she did not take action despite multiple emails and notices on the boards that DHL have a zero tolerance to these matters. I then reported all these issues to the warehouse Manager and he also did nothing. After that I applied for another role within the warehouse to escape this individual. Things got a little better but these things were still playing on my mind bringing me down. About 6 months later I sat down in a meeting with the State Manager & Manager and they advised me I was too close to another employee so they require me to switch warehouses, much to my disapproval, I advised them we are not together, she said it doesn’t matter you guys are friends. I said everybody is friends here, that question was ignored. I then stated why you are making a big issues out of something that is false anyway when I reported all the racist comments. Her reply was because I told her I didn’t want her to do anything about it. That makes no sense why would I report something that was affecting my mental state and expect her to do nothing. She then said never mind that, this is another issue.

So I’ve now been moved to another warehouse and my mental state has deteriorated, I have seen a Doctor multiple times and he has diagnosed me with Depression & Anxiety due to the issues at work.

Can you please let me know my options here, I now have Depression & Anxiety due to compete negligence of strict company policies.

I also have all the Documentation from the GP

And multiple witnesses at work to the while situation

what are my legal rights here

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What do you want to happen?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Moving you to another warehouse seems like a proactive move to get you away from the manager making comments.

If the company has taken positive steps to help you I suspect you don't have much in the way of a cause of action. Suggest you focus on the future and getting better rather than dwelling on what happened in the past.

Clancy

6 April 2016
The racism angle is not going to attract much attention unless your Aboriginal or Muslim, so possibly you might get more attention by calling it bullying?

These big companies act fast on what gets attention in the media, and very slow with what does not.