QLD Pregnant Daughter on Drugs - How to Get Custody of Baby?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nicole5

2 September 2016
Hi,

My pregnant 20-year-old daughter is using marijuana and had been all through her pregnancy. She has 6eeeks left. I have provided everything for the arrival of this baby. She refuses to go to any doctor's appontpments, etc., and I'm assuming because of the drugs she also has a domestic violence order out on the father of the child, which police put out on her behalf and she has continued to see him.

He has been caught three times and basically got away with it three times. I'm very concerned for the baby when he is born and I'm so worried welfare will jump in. My daughter has and still refuses to accept responsibility for the baby and pregnancy and is just worried about where her next smoke is.

I asked her if she would be willing to do a parental order and I have the baby temporarily and get her help, etc., and she refused! I don't want to but I have to speak for this innocent baby who I'm guessing will be born with THC withdrawals and low birth weight and she don't seem to care.

Where and what do I do next to help this little baby when he is born?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Have you contacted your State's child protective service about this matter?

Nicole5

2 September 2016
Yes and have given them a "low down " on this and my concerns etc and they said to start to make a report etc and I have done so , a councillor from their team will be contacting my daughter and asking her a few questions and trying to see what they can do to help and Surport her... But ... My inertial concern is baby and his welfare when he is born (not to mention now as well) .. The agreement between us was she was living here, and due to unemployment and well lake of trying , I have brought everything and tried my hardest to explain and what not about drugs and doctors appts etc with no success .. I feel the last thing I want to do is now a matte if I have to which is seek legal Gaurdian or temporary etc o want her to bond with her baby I want her to be mummy etc but this baby is in harms way now and ... I'm just desperate for how to go about it getting legal help

AllForHer

23 July 2014
At this juncture, while the baby is still in utero, there really isn't much remedy that family law can offer you, so the best step you can take at the moment is to get CPS involved and see what they can do to help your daughter.

When the baby is born, then we can provide more guidance, but for now, I'm afraid your best bet is talking to CPS about early intervention programs for young parents.

Reactions: SamanthaJay