Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Police - How to Check if Son has Outstanding Warrants?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by ConcernedMum, 21 September 2016.

  1. ConcernedMum

    ConcernedMum Member

    21 September 2016
    Likes Received:

    I was wondering if there was a way to check to see if my son has any outstanding warrants issued?

    He has advised us that he has multiple warrants out, but he has mental health issues so we are not sure if he is telling the truth. I would rather him have legal representation if he were to hand himself into police given his age.

  2. Rod

    Rod Well-Known Member

    27 May 2014
    Likes Received:
    Yes, but if he is over 18, you need his cooperation. If he is over 18, getting a signed power of attorney from your son for this matter will help you get cooperation from the relevant government authorities you will need to deal with. Many areas, rightly so, will refuse to talk with you without your son's approval.

    Contact the Sheriff's Office. There are two types of warrants - criminal and civil warrants, so you may need to talk with two different areas in the sheriff's office.

    You haven't mentioned the kinds of warrants you suspect your son has. If you suspect they are all driving/toll related contacting civic compliance might be easier.

    Best to take action now before authorities knock on your door and remove some control from you. Also suggest you get medical and psychological reports together if there are a reasonable number of warrants to help as defences against the warrants.

    While the process is and will be stressful for you, the system can help people with genuine mental health issues. I helped someone and achieved a good result.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ponala

    Ponala Well-Known Member

    10 February 2015
    Likes Received:
    Go into a Police station and ask or give them a ring.

    Sheriff's Office won't have warrants issued by Police or the Courts for criminal matters - they deal with warrants stemming from unpaid fines.

Share This Page