NSW Police came to my house and left a note

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Pizzalov

15 February 2021
Hello, last week a police officer showed up to my house while i was in the shower and started knocking, I wasnt aware of who it was at the knocking ans didn't answer the door and kept showering, he went on like this for a good 5/10 minutes before giving up.
Later on when i went downstairs, I found a business card with a number and name on it and asked to be called.
I called him after a bit and asked what was up, he told me he was from a station 40 minutes away from me and wanted me to come to the station to know where my car was on a specific day and time. I asked what this was all about but he refused over and over again to give me details and he said he would talk to me only if i went to the station.
I then said i might come later next week and hung up.
What i would like to know is if this is a normal occurance and what should i do from now on? Do i have to go and talk to him? Am i under any obligations? Thanks for your time

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Yes, it's quite normal.

Find out where you car was, and who was driving it.
But, you have no duty to take yourself to some distant (or simply inconvenient) police station,
just because Constable Friendly is being lazy.

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
Do not attend and speak to the police. You will be recorded. If they want you enough they will arrest you.