VIC Theft at a Shop - Police Want to Interview Me

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kylie Josh

14 March 2015
I've just had a police officer knock on my door. Ask me to come to police station this afternoon to interview me about a theft at a shop (stealing incident) late last year. I've never been in trouble with police. What do I do ?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Why do they want to interview you?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Generally it is better to go to the station. It is better than having them turn up at your work/home to arrest you.

You need to decide if you want a lawyer present. If I was in your position I'd go down to the station to find out what they want. Under no circumstances should you tell them ANYTHING till you understand what is happening, and even then you may want to just say no comment. If you do not understand what is going on, get assistance. Possibly take a friend with you, though if the police consider you a suspect they won't let them in the room while you are interrogated.

Junior

13 November 2014
I agree with @ Tim W, you better ask them what they want. As for my personal experience, DO NOT TRUST THE POLICE, DO NOT GIVE ANY STATEMENTS FROM THEM.
Rod is right, do not go on your own.