NSW Police came to door, accused of shoplifting, what to do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Stock-Screen

4 March 2020
I wanted to find out what my options were regarding what is happening to me right now. Police came to my door last night and said that about 5 months ago I was involved in a shoplifting incident at an electronics store. They said that they had camera footage of the event, had my name and car information etc. They said I should call and talk to a detective at the police station, and that they would be sending "paperwork" in the mail. The total amount taken was around $500 from what I remember. It was a stupid mistake and I regret it greatly, but did not think that 5 months later it would be an issue. I refused to give the police any information. They said they have me on their bodyWill they arrest me? Will I end up having to go to court? They didn't ask me to come in for an interview or anything, they just said they would be "sending paperwork in the mail". What should I do at this point? Thanks for any help!!

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Wait for the paperwork to rock up and then take it to a lawyer.

Anything you say at any point from now can and will be used. Don't admit to anything.

If asked by police you must give the police your name and address but that's it. Everything else comes from your lawyer.

Stock-Screen

4 March 2020
Wait for the paperwork to rock up and then take it to a lawyer.

Anything you say at any point from now can and will be used. Don't admit to anything.

If asked by police you must give the police your name and address but that's it. Everything else comes from your lawyer.
Thank you so much, I will do just that. I appreciate your help.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I wanted to find out what my options were regarding what is happening to me right now. Police came to my door last night and said that about 5 months ago I was involved in a shoplifting incident at an electronics store. They said that they had camera footage of the event, had my name and car information etc. They said I should call and talk to a detective at the police station, and that they would be sending "paperwork" in the mail. The total amount taken was around $500 from what I remember. It was a stupid mistake and I regret it greatly, but did not think that 5 months later it would be an issue. I refused to give the police any information. They said they have me on their bodyWill they arrest me? Will I end up having to go to court? They didn't ask me to come in for an interview or anything, they just said they would be "sending paperwork in the mail". What should I do at this point? Thanks for any help!!

I am not a lawyer and you got your answer, as this is what I understand from reading here, but I am curious as to what you have taken to the value of $500? was it worth it? What I can ad is that the Magistrate will consider your situation when providing the sentencing, what I mean if a person is unemployed and had no income (like centrelink) and did it to get food etc... they may have the lower range of the penalties, but if a person did it for greed then the magistrate will determine the higher range of the penalties, I may be wrong , but this is from my understanding.
Don't forget if you end up with a criminal record, this will affect your life for a long time! the magistrate will look into your character too (no past problems for example).

Reactions: John R