NSW Perpetrator action resulting from VIS

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ClaraOak

27 November 2017
I was sexually assaulted by my boyfriend (now ex). I confronted him online as I did not feel comfortable doing so in person. As usual, he turned the situation into his own pity party about how he wonders if it would now be better to take his own life. Two years later, I am still dealing with the trauma and upon careful and conscious consideration, I would like to present him with an informal victim impact statement as my final words on the matter so that I may have some closure. Yes I have tried writing it and tearing it up, but I believe for my personal closure, I need him to hear/read it. Given my existing knowledge that he has expressed suicidal ideation, in the unlikely and extreme case that he should attempt to harm himself upon hearing my "VIS", could I be charged?

Clancy

6 April 2016
The suicide rates as they stand are nothing to be dismissive about, don't assume for one second you know what someone is capable of. However, i have never heard of anyone being charged for indirectly putting someone over the edge to suicide? Although that is not to say it never happened? If you were to directly say "i wish you would kill yourself" well then mebe?

If you made your accusation public knowledge, it might be possible he himself or his family may bring a slander charge, well, that i don't know? So, unless you want to go to police, keep it between you and your ex.

Your other option might be to speak to a lawyer and arrange something where you make it legal.... do something along the lines of; give him the option to acknowledge your 'VIS' and if he does that, you wont press charges.

MartyK

4 June 2016
Causation would need to be established. Reporting or raising an offence that results in the accused suicide, where there has been no incitement to suicide, would be very difficult to prove. Simply knowing someone is/may be suicidal at the time the allegation is raised (or VIS is sent in your case), if they then suicide, is not a definite proof of causation.

I agree that perhaps the better route would be to engage, or at least talk to, a lawyer about options. There is no guarantee that the “letter” you send will be read. I hope you are receiving counselling. Good luck.