Seeking compensation for child sexual grooming 5-6 years ago

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Anne11111

28 July 2018
When I was 14 a 'friend' that I had made at a Christian camp the summer before, had decided to groom me. They manipulated me emotionally to send them explicit images and provide sexual favours.

I was at a vulnerable point in my life and did not have the mental capacity to defend myself from these toxic behaviours. I believe that they saw this in me and took advantage of my trust.

He was three and a half years older than me and led me to believe that he had feelings for me and desired to be intimate. My low self-esteem found worth in being 'desired' and I began to put this person's sexual needs before my basic psychological self-care.

I had a similar incident happen a year later, where a sergeant of my army cadets unit insisted on wanting to see me and do sexual things with me. I understand that most people will question the crimes of these situations. But I believe that I was harassed and manipulated emotionally in order to perform sexual favours.

The thing that stays with me the most, is that these people were people that I saw as friends and role models. Not predators who only took interest in me for their own gains.

I am now a young adult. And in a relationship with someone who I think genuinely does care about me and we have a healthy normal relationship. But I feel that trauma still exists in my mind, and I want to find some closure.

I believe that under the current Australian laws, criminal acts were taken place. And I feel that if these individuals had the state of mind to sexually groom a vulnerable and underage girl. That there is little confidence in their capacity to not commit a similar crime in the future. And perhaps I am not their only victim.

I want to recover evidence, which may still exist in facebook messages. Years ago when it happened, I actually decided to delete everything and even delete my facebook account. Because knowing and seeing the evidence was too painful for me.

I would like to ask for any legal advice on this situation and what the potential outcomes may be for myself or the perpetrators.

Thank you for your time.