SA Student Visa Rejected - Dealing with AAT?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

rogersmith

10 October 2018
My student visa was rejected on the grounds that I did not meet the GTE requirements. I have lodged an application for a review to the AAT. The COE/course attached to the student visa has finished (July 2018).

The AAT has not listed my review. What will happen if the AAT is successful? Will I be on a substantive visa or will I continue on a bridging visa? while I wait for the AAT to list my review can I enrol in another course (for example Advanced Diploma)?

regards

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Did you have the option of internal review prior to going to the AAT?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
On what basis do they say they that you don't meet GTE?

rogersmith

10 October 2018
Hi Tim, I'm not worried about satisfying the GTE requirements in the AAT. I'm more focused on the procedural steps after the AAT makes a decision, especially as I have finished my course. Do you know whether the AAT overturns the delegates decision? Will I be on a substantive visa or because the course has been finished for more than 3 months, will I be on another bridging visa? And should/could I enrol into another course while I wait for the AAT to list the matter?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
So, let me see if I have this right...
You had a student visa. Your course is now finished.
You have not yet gone home, and you never really intended to?

rogersmith

10 October 2018
The last ascertain is not correct. My de facto partner is completing her masters. Once she completes that course we will return home. I ask again if the AAT rules in my favour will I be granted the student visa or because my course is finished I will only be placed on a bridging visa?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
If the course for which a person was originally granted a Student Visa has finished,
then the premise for that visa no longer exists, and it will either expire, or be liable to cancellation.

A person is unlikely to be granted a (further) Student Visa if they are not
(still, or again) a genuine student.
Even if a person enrols in something else, the student will still need to be genuine,
and the department will still need to be convinced of that before granting that person a new student visa.
So, the Pharmacy graduate who enrols in hairdressing just so that they can stay in Australia
is not certain of getting a visa.
And they (mostly) don't need to, if they have applications and/or appeals/reviews on foot.

The purpose of a Bridging Visa is to enable a person to stay in Australia while a decision is made
about their application for another class of visa. This can be days, or years.
A person can be (but is not always and not automatically) granted a Bridging Visa for the duration of an appeal process.
The AAT can make this decision (it's called "making a substitute decision"), but more commonly, will remit the original application
to the department to be remade.

A Bridging Visa does not operate (and cannot be granted) to enable you to stay in Australia
while somebody else (who is not on a, say, a Spouse or Partner Visa linked to yours)
finishes a course for which the other person has been granted a visa in their own right
(even, say, for the few weeks remaining in academic year 2018) .

There is almost always a known date by which a person has to depart. If a person remains in Australia after that date,
then they typically become an unlawful non-citizen, and are at risk of arrest and being placed in Immigration Detention,
prior to being deported.

Castiel House

8 November 2018
Hello please help.,

I have applied for Canada PR in 2005 and got rejected. I was unable to submit the correct and accurate documents. Now I am planning to apply for Austraila student visa.
I still have the ban period of 2 years for Canada.
Will this affect my visa? Is there a change for me to get a student visa? Please advice :(