SA Student Visa Rejected - Dealing with AAT?

Discussion in 'Immigration Law Forum' started by rogersmith, 10 October 2018.

1. rogersmith

rogersmith Active Member

My student visa was rejected on the grounds that I did not meet the GTE requirements. I have lodged an application for a review to the AAT. The COE/course attached to the student visa has finished (July 2018).

The AAT has not listed my review. What will happen if the AAT is successful? Will I be on a substantive visa or will I continue on a bridging visa? while I wait for the AAT to list my review can I enrol in another course (for example Advanced Diploma)?

regards

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

Did you have the option of internal review prior to going to the AAT?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rogersmith

rogersmith Active Member

No I wasn't given an option for internal review.

4. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

On what basis do they say they that you don't meet GTE?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rogersmith

rogersmith Active Member

Hi Tim, I'm not worried about satisfying the GTE requirements in the AAT. I'm more focused on the procedural steps after the AAT makes a decision, especially as I have finished my course. Do you know whether the AAT overturns the delegates decision? Will I be on a substantive visa or because the course has been finished for more than 3 months, will I be on another bridging visa? And should/could I enrol into another course while I wait for the AAT to list the matter?

6. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

So, let me see if I have this right...
    You had a student visa. Your course is now finished.
    You have not yet gone home, and you never really intended to?

7. rogersmith

rogersmith Active Member

The last ascertain is not correct. My de facto partner is completing her masters. Once she completes that course we will return home. I ask again if the AAT rules in my favour will I be granted the student visa or because my course is finished I will only be placed on a bridging visa?

8. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

If the course for which a person was originally granted a Student Visa has finished,
    then the premise for that visa no longer exists, and it will either expire, or be liable to cancellation.

A person is unlikely to be granted a (further) Student Visa if they are not
    (still, or again) a genuine student.
    Even if a person enrols in something else, the student will still need to be genuine,
    and the department will still need to be convinced of that before granting that person a new student visa.
    So, the Pharmacy graduate who enrols in hairdressing just so that they can stay in Australia
    is not certain of getting a visa.
    And they (mostly) don't need to, if they have applications and/or appeals/reviews on foot.

The purpose of a Bridging Visa is to enable a person to stay in Australia while a decision is made
    about their application for another class of visa. This can be days, or years.
    A person can be (but is not always and not automatically) granted a Bridging Visa for the duration of an appeal process.
    The AAT can make this decision (it's called "making a substitute decision"), but more commonly, will remit the original application
    to the department to be remade.

A Bridging Visa does not operate (and cannot be granted) to enable you to stay in Australia
    while somebody else (who is not on a, say, a Spouse or Partner Visa linked to yours)
    finishes a course for which the other person has been granted a visa in their own right
    (even, say, for the few weeks remaining in academic year 2018) .

There is almost always a known date by which a person has to depart. If a person remains in Australia after that date,
    then they typically become an unlawful non-citizen, and are at risk of arrest and being placed in Immigration Detention,
    prior to being deported.

9. rogersmith

rogersmith Active Member

Thank you for your comments and time