VIC My ex gave away my stuff

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MPJ

3 January 2019
hello,

My daughters father suggested I store my excess furniture and business stock (I do home staging) at his house. He has a garage and storage room. I needed to store things like chairs, tables, cushions etc as I was moving home.

I stored around $5000 worth of stuff at his house.

On Xmas day he had a mental breakdown and demanded I remove my stuff from his house “while he was away in January”. He gave me a key to his house. He said I should get my stuff and leave the key in the kitchen.

I went there today to get my stuff. My stuff is not there.

He is taunting me on text messages saying he sold all my stuff.

Can I recoup the value of my missing items by taking his stuff? Like his TV, computer games etc? He will not tell me where my stuff is. I assume he gave it away.

What can I legally do?

FML!

Thanks!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Report him to the police for stealing.
Take him to court and sue for the return/cost.

I'd be telling him I want the items returned asap (ie within a day) or I will report him to the police. If he doesn't, follow up with the police.

Reactions: MPJ

kevin586

14 January 2019
go to a court, they have people their who deal with the paper work of people who have business with the court.

They are admin staff not lawyers and therefore cannot give you legal advice but if you ask for "information on how to... you may obtain the key information you require and you can take it from there.