Legal definition of "flight risk"

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Raymondo

25 February 2018
I am currently under a Departure Prohibition Order because my ex-wife informed the Department of Human Services that I was a flight risk.

I am a UK national, but have been living in Australia for 21 years. I have a child here. My parents now live in Australia. I have traveled extensively for the whole period of my life I have lived in Australia and have always returned - probably over 100 international trips in this time. I am also in a long term relationship and have no plans to flee the country.

How can I discredit or prove that I am not a flight risk and that the DPO should be revoked? Is there an official legal definition that the courts rely on?

Thanks for your help,

Ray

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What gives her the right to have you declared a flight risk? (eg child, spousal maintenance, debts, other)

Raymondo

25 February 2018
There is a spousal maintenance debt which I am fighting in court this week.
However, the DPO has been imposed on her word - she told them I was a flight risk and within minutes they issued a DPO - and not because of the actual debt.
There was already existing debt and I had traveled regularly for work internationally before she told them I was a flight risk - 20+ trips overseas and always returned.
I now have a need to travel for work again and DHS are saying that unless my debt is cleared, I won't be able to leave the country, even though work is paying for the trip.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Do you have a lawyer? If so, ask them to get an order lifting the flight risk at court. If necessary, consider offering some kind of surety or even a bank guarantee.

A letter from your employer saying the trip is for work purposes will help you. Hard to pay spousal maintenance if you have no job because you can't travel.

Raymondo

25 February 2018
No money for a lawyer unfortunately. I have put in my orders sought a lifting of the DPO. I may try to offer some sort of surety in court, although I really dont have any financial resources to cover it.

Thanks for your help Rod. I suppose I could just try to rely on my travel history and the fact I have nowhere else to go.