Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Minky

30 December 2016
I could not agree more. ;)

I wish to add, that my father would have certainly taken Emirates Airlines to court if it were not for the fact that he is 80 years old now. He simply has not the energy to 'get into it'. Had he been younger, and as a man whose integrity is second to none, he'd have had them account for their terrible actions. Not for the compensation(all though that was most certainly due), but in the interests of justice; so that this mammoth corporation is not allowed to get away with such egregious actions with apparent impunity. It was never about the money. Justice is just. Equity is nothing to do with money.

My father is also relatively well off. The principle, in law at that, is paramount. That the people should not be considered mere numbers to be exploited by a faceless machine. That people, should be afforded basic rights, and that includes having contracts honored.

Having said that, in my own view, in having read(many many hours) so much about the law related to this, Emirates Airlines could have been taken to court, for 'Willful misconduct'(much more serious) on the basis of what I have said in this thread. And if Emirates Airlines had been found guilty of that, they'd have been liable to pay a great deal more compensation that what the original claim sought. The courts might have wisely and prudently sent a clear and concise message in lieu of a judgement of guilt; that under no circumstances should Emirates Airlines behave in such a gratuitous and demeaning manner toward customers.

Similarly, I myself was confident that any good judge worth his salt, in so having ascertained the facts of the case and the characters of the people involved, would have found Emirates guilty of Willful misconduct. Indeed, the truth must have value attributed to it irrespective of money. To honor it. Otherwise?

Regards damages, and the suggestion of 'hurt feelings', indeed, that was most certainly a factor too so should not be glossed over. For my father became depressed during this entire process, over many months, and that upset me too. Probably due to feeling a sense of hopelessness that there seemed to be nothing one could do because the airline was just too powerful.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Well articulated, and well done.

Reactions: Minky