Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Including My Partner to 485 Visa Application?

Discussion in 'Immigration Law Forum' started by Andreas S., 21 July 2016.

1. Andreas S.

Andreas S. Member

Hi, I am German and I am going to apply for the Post Graduate 485 visa, and I would like to include my French partner who is in Australia. We have been together for 9 months and we've been living together for 2.5 months. We have a joint lease and bank account.

What's the relationship duration requirement for her to be on my visa, 6 or 12 months? I read online it depends on the visa...What do we have to include in our visa application?

Thank you.

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

You can include spouses, de facto partners and same-sex partners on your 485 application.

A person is considered your de facto partner if:
    • they have a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others
    • the relationship between them is genuine and continuing
    • they live together or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis
    • they are not related by family.
    For an application for a permanent, Business Skills (Provisional), Student (Temporary), Partner (Provisional), Partner (Temporary), or a General Skilled Migration visa the de facto relationship must have existed for at least 12 months immediately preceding the date of application.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...