NSW Including My Partner to 485 Visa Application?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Andreas S.

21 July 2016
Hi, I am German and I am going to apply for the Post Graduate 485 visa, and I would like to include my French partner who is in Australia. We have been together for 9 months and we've been living together for 2.5 months. We have a joint lease and bank account.

What's the relationship duration requirement for her to be on my visa, 6 or 12 months? I read online it depends on the visa...What do we have to include in our visa application?

Thank you.

S

Sophea

You can include spouses, de facto partners and same-sex partners on your 485 application.

A person is considered your de facto partner if:
  • they have a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others
  • the relationship between them is genuine and continuing
  • they live together or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis
  • they are not related by family.
For an application for a permanent, Business Skills (Provisional), Student (Temporary), Partner (Provisional), Partner (Temporary), or a General Skilled Migration visa the de facto relationship must have existed for at least 12 months immediately preceding the date of application.