NSW What kind of visa, Subclass 485 or other?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Illawarrian

29 December 2017
I have a student staying with me from Nepal. He doesn't have heaps of money for an immigration agent so I'm helping him fill out the forms online. He's been in Australia for five years on a student visa (6 months taken off for a special working visa following the earthquake in Kathmandu). His student visa runs out on 15th March 2018. He's completed the course for Civil Engineering, but although he's applied for hundreds of positions of intern, he hasn't been successful. If he can't do the 3 month internship, he can't graduate. He needs more time to do this and will probably have to get an agent to find an internship. (Eventually he would like PR). Civil Engineering is one of the skilled occupations for PR. I'm thinking he needs to apply for a bridging visa and then Subclass 485. But Subclass 485 is for students who have recently graduated. He hasn't graduated, not because he doesn't want to, but because he can't find that internship and the university doesn't help with this. Is there any chance of him getting some kind of visa so he can find an internship and graduate?