QLD Cyber Bullying and Stalking on Facebook - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Suzywond

20 March 2016
13:58
Can you please tell me who could help me with someone who is cyber bullying and stalking me on Facebook? She has severe intellectual disabilities but still manages to create fake walls to send me messages through my filtered messages. She was someone I befriended but had to disconnect from. She was too over the top and possessive and my hubby agreed with me to stop being her friend. I have had to change my landline phone number, block her on my mobile phone. as well. She is now sending messages to my daughters as well.

Wasn't there a law passed recently about stalking and bullying online? Would appreciate any suggestions.

Police just go and talk to her which enrages her even more. And I have been told I don't have grounds for an AVO!

Very frustrating, and she is evil.

S

Sophea

Hi Suzywond,

What is the nature of her communications?

Yes that's correct, cyber bullying is a crime under either QLD or national law when it involves using the internet or a phone in a threatening, harrassing or offensive way. A message or post could be considered offensive if it is likely to cause serious anger, outrage, humiliation or disgust. The maximum penalty is 3 years in jail. For example if someone was to send threats and hate-filled texts and Facebook messages to someone else they coudl be found guilty of using phone and internet services in a menacing, harassing or offensive way.

Stalking is also a criminal act and is when someone gets repeated attention that intimidates or frightens them. Stalking can include making unwanted phone calls, emails, text messages and messages on Facebook/Twitter etc. The maximum penalty is 5 years in jail.

Suzywond

20 March 2016
Hi Suzywond,

What is the nature of her communications?

Yes that's correct, cyber bullying is a crime under either QLD or national law when it involves using the internet or a phone in a threatening, harrassing or offensive way. A message or post could be considered offensive if it is likely to cause serious anger, outrage, humiliation or disgust. The maximum penalty is 3 years in jail. For example if someone was to send threats and hate-filled texts and Facebook messages to someone else they coudl be found guilty of using phone and internet services in a menacing, harassing or offensive way.

Stalking is also a criminal act and is when someone gets repeated attention that intimidates or frightens them. Stalking can include making unwanted phone calls, emails, text messages and messages on Facebook/Twitter etc. The maximum penalty is 5 years in jail.

Thanks for replying to me Sophea. This woman has mental health issues, and I have had to change my home number. Legal aid said there is nothing I can do about her, her messages are horrible, can be threatening, calls me all sorts of names, I have blocked all her fake walls she creates as they come through. The agency who supports her seem to do nothing about her, saying they are not responsible for her behaviour after the hrs they support her.