VIC How to Introduce Voice Recording and Its Transcript as Evidence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Muxaul

10 October 2017
Generally speaking, in civil law proceedings that involve with Family law Act and Defamation Act, what is the correct way for either party to introduce voice recording as well as its transcript as evidence?

I understand that generally speaking audio recording as evidence is a tricky one, but some cases such

JANSSEN & JANSSEN does allow recordings and its transcript to be admitted. As a self represented litigant, I wonder how to do it under below scenarios:

1. Applicant/Plaintiff makes a statement in Affidavit /Writ and wishes to use the recording to support the statement in the beginning of the process.

2. The Applicant/Plaintiff initially only makes a statement in Affidavit /Writ, but Respondent then denies this statement. So now the Applicant /Plaintiff wishes to bring in audio recording and its transcript as evidence.

3. The Respondent denies a statement in Applicant /Plaintiff's application/writ, and wishes to bring audio evidence in support of the denial.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au

Muxaul

10 October 2017
Have you initiated court action, and if so which court?

You can ask the court how they prefer the evidence to be submitted - transcript only, or transcript plus audio file. If they accept audio files, check which format (eg WAV, MP4 etc)

Also have a read of this: https://www.courts.qld.gov.au/__dat...-tape-recordings-transcripts-and-exhibits.pdf
Hi Rob

I have initiated family law proceeding but not yet with dafemation proceeding. However my clocks is ticking as the defamatory messages were sent in early Nov last year. I must bring the matter to court within 12 months since the messages were sent. And I need to give the respondent 28 days in advance to make amends offer.

I know it’s late but it took me months to get back to track after she attacked, and I’m doing the best I can.

I don’t know which person in the court I can ask about these kind of information. Duty lawyer? (Legal aid Victoria doesn’t assist defamation proceedings) Registrar staff? Thank you as always mate.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I don’t know which person in the court I can ask about these kind of information.

The court registry staff. Not always helpful but worth a try.