NSW Hotel charging guest for company accommodation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mike M

6 February 2020
I am employed as a trainer, conducting training courses at a resort hotel for my company. The first course was around 2 years ago and I signed into the resort as a guest using my credit card (as per normal hotel procedures). I have been staying as a guest at the hotel and using training room facilities since, and the hotel has billed, and received payment, from my company for the courses I conducted. In December, the company suddenly stopped operating and has not paid any of the bills for the past couple of months. I suddenly received a credit card debit for the full amount owed by the company ($4000).

Am I liable for this payment? The company has always been billed and has paid the cost of the accommodation and training facilities.

The hotel refuses to discuss the matter and the bank has refused to halt payment on the credit card. I cannot get the hotel to supply me with the original contract with the company nor my original sign-on documentation.

Could you please let me know whether I would succeed in challenging the credit card amount?

Thanks

Mike

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Possibly.

On what grounds did the bank refuse? Escalate the matter within the bank and if necessary raise a complaint to AFCA.

Mike M

6 February 2020
Possibly.

On what grounds did the bank refuse? Escalate the matter within the bank and if necessary raise a complaint to AFCA.

Thanks for the reply, Rod. I was asking on behalf of a colleague who is not tech savvy. When I queried him on this, he replied that the bank said they are legally entitled to claim the accommodation costs from the guest, as the company was not responding to their communication. I have asked him to retrieve the hotel guest registration contract - perhaps the fine print on this signed registration would hold him personally liable.

Again, appreciate the reply.

Mike