VIC Credit Card Charged Without My Knowledge - Recourse?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
17 January 2018
Hello and thank you for reading,

About 3 months ago, I rented a campervan from a company in Melbourne (intentionally not mentioning it's name at the moment) and have returned it in Sydney. I have received my whole deposit back, and some money for gas that I was owed by the company, and with that, I saw the deal as done.

Three days ago, I checked my bank account and noticed that, out of the blue, the same company has charged me 520$. Baffled by this, I called customer service to politely ask what has happened. The representative told me that indeed the vehicle was returned with no damage and she couldn't find a reason for the charge.

After talking to their accounts department, she realized that about 2 months ago, they accidentally reimbursed my account with 520$. She sent me the receipt and I looked back into my account and noticed she was correct.

When they realized their mistake they decided, without letting me know, to charge my Credit Card 520$, and let me find out by myself.

I told her that I don't believe they are allowed to use my credit card without letting me know, and she said they did so from fear of me canceling my card (what?). She told me I should have notified them when I got reimbursed.

After a short conversation about how frustrated I was, she got really angry and hung up on me.

Obviously I understand the mistake, but the fact is that I am currently travelling that country on short funds. Before starting my travelling, I had a certain amount of money and now am 520$ short of it. I don't believe it's fair and don't believe their mistake is my responsibility to bear.

So my question is, are they legally allowed to charge my credit card, without me knowing? Does the fact that they accidentally reimbursed change the answer to that question?

Sorry for the long story, and if you lasted this much, thank you for reading.

Clancy

6 April 2016
They have breached your security and they have breached the law. There are procedures they are supposed to follow which they did not...(Sooner or later you would still have to pay it.)

You may want to speak with your credit card company about this breach of security.