Hotels.com Overseas Hotel Charge Issue

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ally

21 August 2014
This might be a long shot, but I am having great difficulty in getting back hotel money from a hotel in Athens that charged my credit card when it shouldn't have.

The booking was made through hotels.com - who emailed me on the DAY of the check-in. They emailed me saying the entire reservation was cancelled due to a 'card issue'. We then went online to try and rebook, and alas, the hotel was fully booked (prior to this we had booked MULTIPLE things on the same credit card with no issue). I was about to board a plane to Athens with my sister, and luckily we were able to book another hotel quickly.

A few days later, a charge came up from the hotel that cancelled on us on my statement - the full amount of 90 euros ($130) - yet we had been notified that the booking had been rejected because of a card issue - yet they were still able to charge the card?

I have rung hotels.com multiple times and they have said to contact the hotel directly, which I have done, with no luck (they are refusing to give the money back as it was a 'non-refundable' deal - yet we did not even set foot on their premises).

If anybody has any advice whatsoever on what I can possibly do, under Australian Consumer Law or Contract Law I would be grateful. And keeping in mind that I have been trying to deal with hotels.com call centres which are based internationally, with great difficulty. I feel I have exhausted all my options and would appreciate any help.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Ally
Assuming that you still have a copy of the email/s from Hotels.com and the transaction occurred recently (that is, within the past ~45 days), you may consider opening a credit card dispute/chargeback request with your credit card provider.

If you are unable to locate the chargeback/dispute information for your bank, please advise of your bank and I'll attempt to provide a link to their dispute/chargeback form.

Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.

DennisD

11 July 2014
The 'card issue' email stated clearly that the hotel cancelled your reservation. Is that right?

If the hotel cancelled your reservation off their own bat, seems absurd to then charge you on the basis it is 'non refundable' (of course stranger things happen all the time)

Ally

21 August 2014
Hi @Ally
Assuming that you still have a copy of the email/s from Hotels.com and the transaction occurred recently (that is, within the past ~45 days), you may consider opening a credit card dispute/chargeback request with your credit card provider.

If you are unable to locate the chargeback/dispute information for your bank, please advise of your bank and I'll attempt to provide a link to their dispute/chargeback form.

Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Hello John,

Thankyou so much for your response! We have contacted 28 degrees (the credit card) and they are doing an 'investigation' into the matter. So fingers crossed we are able to achieve something. I was in email contact with the hotel and they were quite rude, stubborn and not understanding at all - quite unbelievable!

I will let you know if anything happens with the credit card investigation.
Regards, Ally

Ally

21 August 2014
The 'card issue' email stated clearly that the hotel cancelled your reservation. Is that right?

If the hotel cancelled your reservation off their own bat, seems absurd to then charge you on the basis it is 'non refundable' (of course stranger things happen all the time)

Hi Hugh,

Thankyou for your response!
The email was from hotels.com France (as I booked when I was in Paris) so it was entirely in French. Luckily I translated it otherwise we would have had no idea. The email stated that the entire booking had been cancelled due to a card issue and yes, the hotel charged us. Unfortunately after multiple interactions with hotels.com I have been repeatedly told to get in contact with the hotel myself as it 'wasn't hotels.com that charged me'.

Regards, Ally