QLD Hospital Health Matters - Next of Kin and Power of Attorney?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jordan B

3 June 2018
When a patient is admitted to hospital, they fill out an admission form nominating a next of kin.

In Qld, what are the rights and obligations of the next of kin when the patient has already appointed another person as the enduring power of attorney and executor of will?

Why do hospitals want to know a next of kin?

What does the next of kin actually do that other family members aren't able to do?

Is there a legal definition of next of kin in Qld or Australia?

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
As far as I know, "next of kin" in this context only relates to who to contact in case of an emergency. I don't believe there are any legal aspects involved.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I agree with Scruff. Purely a point of contact, and that contact should then notify whoever has legal responsibility for decisions. Keep in mind an EPOA doesn't necessarily relate to medical decisions. In Vic you need a separate authority for medical decisions, I'm not sure of the law in QLD.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
EPOA in Queensland can be for financial, personal, or both. It covers a wide range of medical, but stops short in specific areas such as resuscitation, tissue donation, pregnancy termination. For that, we have what is called an Advance Health Directive. It doesn't give someone else the power to choose, but rather makes certain written stipulations which have lawful effect despite you no longer being competent to make the decision yourself.