VIC Power of Attorney and Will - Electing Lawyer as Next of Kin?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Iamanisland

6 April 2016
Hi All,

I am looking for information on how to name a lawyer as my next of kin, and what I should be looking for in a lawyer offering such a service.

I am estranged from my family for over 15 years and hate the thought of any of them having a say over my well-being or future. I am in a relationship, but we do not live together and have actually decided to never live together or mix our finances/legalities. I would like to safeguard against my family intervening (or my boyfriend being asked to make decisions he is not comfortable with) by electing a lawyer (or legal firm) to be my next of kin.

I would also like to draw up a will and make specific medical instructions if I were to become unwell and unable to care for myself.

I would like to know what kind of lawyer I should be looking for, and roughly what sort of price is involved in making such an arrangement, and what sort of products I should be asking for (I.E. Enduring power of attorney?)

Thanks in advance for your help

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You're thinking on the right track.
Have a read of this for starters.
Then, in particular for the medical stuff, have look at this.
(it is more correct to talk about Power of Attorney and Guardianship
rather than "next of kin" - but your meaning is clear)

Victoria has quite sophisticated and practical arrangements for this stuff.
Pretty much any suburban solicitor can help you.
You can give as detailed instructions as you like (detailed instructions are good!).