Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Hidden Defaults with Simply Energy Affecting my Future Credit

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by Christina, 28 July 2014.

1. Christina

Christina Member

I am currently with Simply Energy and when I applied for a credit card I was told I had bad credit when they did a credit check. When I followed this up with Dun and Bradstreet (D&B), I found the defaults were with Simply Energy. I called to address the default and was told I had not just the one found by D&B in 2013 but another that was in 2012!

When I requested the overdue invoice, I was told it could not be provided. I was given an amount payable and account number attached. So now I must pay these overdue accounts only because someone over the phone said I owe them, and my defaults will be updated to "paid", thusly, remaining on my credit until 2018! Is this legal because it sure ain't fair? Now I have to think about debt consolidation.

What can I do if I new to apply for credit in the mean time and how can Simply Energy continue to keep me as they have without notifying me of these previous defaults even tho I have provided my updated information and remained a customer?

Hope to hear some helpful advice soon. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, because I was simply uninformed and unaware, for another 4 years.

2. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi Christina,
    You should consider:
    1. writing/emailing Simply Energy to request proof/verification of the debt and the steps that Simply Energy took to notify you of the debt/s;
    2. if this is unsuccessful, complain to the Energy and Water Ombudsman of Victoria (EWOV);
    3. if the debt is verified, you should repay the debt but insist that the default is removed from your credit file/report as a condition of resolving your complaint (in contrast to the default simply being marked as paid or fixed).
    Hope this helps. Please keep us updated.

Further information:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Christina likes this.