NSW Harassment and Intimidation - What Can I Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lionel Daily

19 November 2015
Newbie to the forum, hello. I live in a strata apartment block. I have been ruthlessly provoked and harassed for a few years by two residents. I have not reacted to their attempted intimidation and provocation, calculated to get me to react so they can call police or seek an AVO against me, but it is getting harder and harder.

One of these harassers is a frail elderly fellow but extremely nasty. He is a bully and knows how I would be ostracised if I reacted. The other, going by anecdotal appearances may well be using 'ice'; he is frightening. There are almost never any witnesses though once or twice either has almost slipped-up.

I am aware the police are reluctant to do anything unless there are witnesses and / or violence. I am also aware of the long, onerous and draining process of seeking a 'private' AVO. And we have no funds for legal work anyway. Yes, I carry a mobile phone in the hope of recording something. My wife and daughter are also subjected to this harassment occasionally.

What can we do? Any suggestions, please?

Louise4007

8 November 2015
SA
Newbie to the forum, hello. I live in a strata apartment block. I have been ruthlessly provoked and harassed for a few years by two residents. I have not reacted to their attempted intimidation and provocation, calculated to get me to react so they can call police or seek an AVO against me, but it is getting harder and harder.

One of these harassers is a frail elderly fellow but extremely nasty. He is a bully and knows how I would be ostracised if I reacted. The other, going by anecdotal appearances may well be using 'ice'; he is frightening. There are almost never any witnesses though once or twice either has almost slipped-up.

I am aware the police are reluctant to do anything unless there are witnesses and / or violence. I am also aware of the long, onerous and draining process of seeking a 'private' AVO. And we have no funds for legal work anyway. Yes, I carry a mobile phone in the hope of recording something. My wife and daughter are also subjected to this harassment occasionally.

What can we do? Any suggestions, please?

Hi Tim

Yes unfortunately NSW legal aid does not cover apprehended personal violence orders (APVO's) to the best of my knowledge & as you are no doubt already aware, the harassment & intimidation you speak of would need to progress to an assault for any charges to be laid by police.

Should you be able to afford costs at some stage, the local courts in NSW can also issue APVO's Local Court