ACT Father with AVO Wanting More Time with Child

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MartyK

4 June 2016
Migz. I get it - I really do. BUT the system aint that broke and even if it is. I'd rather have a meaningful relationship with my kids than be a martyear who never sees his kids BUT can hold his stupid head high because he stood up to the system.... Sorry for the emotive language BUT I wanna be emphatic here. play the system, don't fight it

Migz, while I agree that there is wide scope for improvement within the current system and I support the efforts of advocacy groups like the SPCA who have dedicated the best part of 2-3 decades lobbying for reform, I think sammy raises a very valid point here "...and even if it is I'd rather have a meaningful relationship with my kids than be a matrtyear who never sees his kids but can hold his stupid head high because he stood up to the system...".

Using your case as a platform to "fight the system" can be case suicide. Like it or not, agree or not, you are likely to be more successful, in your own matter, if you work within the confines of the current system. Yes you can do this very successfully as an SRL and there are many groups, who have also been around for decades who can assist you to do this.

Writing to MP's, especially those who share similar views, even if you do not receive a personal response is still a good idea.

Reactions: Timnuts

Timnuts

7 April 2016
My wife and I had an argument last year. She grabbed me and pushed me backwards. I pushed back wanting to get her off me and she bumped a wall. We both agreed not to make a statement or press charges.

My children from my first marriage were staying with her sister, against my consent and she wouldn't let them return to our home. A few days later, I had an AVO served on me and was unreasonably kept from my child for 6 weeks without contact.

At this point, the mother agreed to a meeting with the child and I at a park. At this meeting, I asked the mother when I could see my child next, and was arrested, charged and found guilty for breaching my AVO, by asking verbally to see my child instead of putting it in writing.

During the time of my AVO, she has also breached it, but was not been charged or held accountable. I have never been charged for assault or violence related offences.

Fast forward a year, she has unreasonably kept my contact very limited from my child with her, and has committed violence against my daughter from my first marriage and is facing serious charges. She now has an AVO against her. She is the primary parent and carer of our young child we had together and is very stingy with my contact, also she suspended my contact for 8 weeks recently based on lies and deceit.

I initiated family court proceedings against her to get my unsupervised time back with my child and the judge found in my favour and reinstated unsupervised contact with my child, on a limited basis. All I want is reasonable time with my child and am fighting the system to get some fairness and more time with my child, which is in her best interests.

It's hard for me, as not wanting to give myself away here but may risk that with the detail I have here. I am fed up with my lawyer's position which is that I can't get 50/50 care of my child, so I will continue to fight for my daughter's sake so I can have a proper relationship with her.

Keep fighting, bro. Your life is my life. I have not seen my 3 kids for 3 years now and had all forms of communication cut off.