Family Lawyer Charged a Fortune - Can I Sue?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mary Green

5 July 2014
My husband of 44 years changed the locks over 2 years ago. I changed family lawyers once 18 months ago as the case had not progressed. The new lawyer made a series of blunders that he now seeks to blame on my poor instructions. I ended up in a mental hospital for 6 weeks so he has found a guardian ad litem and an application is in for him to be appointed. He refuses to work with me otherwise. Another 350 an hour. I am paying a barrsiter, solicitor, forensic accountant and now the guardian.

I am disabled and suffer from depression and anxiety and centrelink refuses to retrain anyone over 64 for a new job. So I am stuck in a mortgage the bank should not have approved in the middle of a case. My solicitor gave me a quantum that has proved to be wrong. I still have no maintenance, and the 2 attempts rto have money from asset sales held in Trust for me were messed up in court.

Can I sue my lawyer for the costs of all the blunders when the case is finished if I have a guardian ad litem? Including contribution to nervous breakdown for not presenting important facts to the Family Court? I am now applying for Urgent hardship and pension at Centrelink. I have used up all my SMSF on this case to date, based on the wrong quantum that he assured me was correct. If I fight my case I could be left on the streets.

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi Mary,
Which state or territory are you located in?
I think you'd make a complaint to the Legal Services Commissioner in your relevant state. For example, the Legal Services Commissioner Victoria.

Reactions: Mary Green

Mary Green

5 July 2014
Hi Mary,
Which state or territory are you located in?
I think you'd make a complaint to the Legal Services Commissioner in your relevant state. For example, the Legal Services Commissioner Victoria.
Hi Mary

His bill to date is 125k. I already paid 101. This includes massive barrister bill. I found new lawyers who said to sack guardian ad litem. I have put this to LCS Vic. last week. But they won't be able to get me a refund. My ex husband is putting me through hoops. The bill is outrageous and the case is just going for final quantum at present. Run out of super, sold an investment so far. ..and owe the NAB over 600k because the lawyer said I would be able to afford a bettee flat. He was wrong.
Now taken a NAB unconscionable loan to FOS. Am 65, on the skids and terrified.