Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Family Law - Notify Ex of My Change of Address?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Iain, 16 November 2015.

  1. Iain

    Iain Member

    16 November 2015
    Likes Received:
    Do I need to notify my ex-wife when I change my address under Family Law? Our children stay with me every second weekend. We have an undertaking of understanding that says we cannot go within 200 m of each other's homes (but no active Intervention Orders).

    I do NOT want my ex to know where I live as she is violent, abusive and aggressive.
  2. sammy01

    sammy01 Well-Known Member

    27 September 2015
    Likes Received:
  3. AllForHer

    AllForHer Well-Known Member

    23 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    You don't have to, but it generally doesn't work in a party's favour if the matter ends up in court. Consider the consequences of not telling her - is she going to withhold the children if you refuse to tell her? Is it going to create or prolong conflict? Is the mother going to interrogate the children inappropriately to find out through them? If any of these things are risk factors and are likely to cause problems for the kids, then you should probably just tell her. You're already protected by your DVO, but the kids aren't protected from her denigrating you or being interrogated by her or refused their time with you because you won't tell her your address. Of course, you shouldn't have to tell her as is your legal right, but if it's going to minimise the risk of exposing the kids to conflict, then it's probably in the best interests of the kids to just tell her.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page